Basic Rolled Biscuits




1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
6 TBSP butter, cut into cubes and chilled
3/4 cup milk

Pulse dry ingredients in food processor, then drop in cubes of chilled butter. Pulse until butter resembles breadcrumbs, then add milk. Pulse until dough comes together as one mass, not longer. Do not allow the butter to melt or form a blended paste with the flour. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times.

Roll dough 1/2 inch thick into a rectangle, then cut into squares (or cut into rounds). Bake at 450° F for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.


*****
These are great as a topper for chicken pot pie. Recipe courtesy of Joy of Cooking.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Hi.. Yes me again...well who knew you had to jellyroll the bread? obviously you!!! you are so smart! and thank you so much for the link to the informative "how to" site. My NEXT question... I made these biscuits this morning with your sausage (AWESOME by the way) and your Gravy (also AWESOME) and i had a problem. I just bought my food processor and dont know how to use it competently..it is a Cuisenar but didnt have a book or anything with it. I used the dough attachment (as that is what i used with your flour tortillas and it worked GREAT). But it didnt work for the biscuits all the powder sat at the sides while the blade whirrled. I opened it many times and pushed the stuff into the center. then added another 1/4 cup milk and eventually i just took it out and kneaded on the table. so while the biscuits had a good flavor they were flat.. HELP... where did I go wrong?!?!?! :) PS your husband wouldnt happen to be a physical therapist would he? i read on one of your comments that he did home health and I am a physical therapist!! :)

Emily said...

Hi Bonnie,
SO glad you like the sausage and gravy. Biscuits are like making a pie crust. It's very important to cut in the cold butter and not let it full mix together like a cookie dough. I use my blade attachment in my food processor to quickly pulse the butter into small bits. Until you get used to your processor, it may be easier to cut the butter in the flour with two forks (by hand).

I love my Cuisinart, I hope you'll love yours too! If you call customer service they may be able to direct you to an online version of your users manual.

That's exciting you are a PT! My husband is a PTA and does home health. My neck is very grateful for the tens units and ultrasounds we have here at home! :)

I'm working with an out patient physical therapist right now (totally different field than what my husband does) who has been a life saver. He has helped me so much, all of you guys are amazing, it really is such a neat field.